Friday, August 8, 2008

Life in the ICU......

sucks! Just so you know.

Really, I guess it's not that bad all things considered. I really didn't know a persons butt could hurt so bad just from sitting in a chair. I sit here looking at other people, trying to figure out who goes with who. I think I'm pretty good at this, I've even matched a lot of people to patients. Two families are trying to prepare for the loss of elderly parents. It's been a difficult day here on that front. One man here is desperately trying to be strong as he lets go of his wife of 64 years. He has to say good-bye to the woman who has shared his life, his hopes, his disappointments and his love for 64 years. She's his soul mate and he's really having a hard time with it. I have no idea what his name is but if you think of it, say a little prayer for him.

Chris, Josh and I were coming up the elevator tonight when a lady we had never seen before asked me if it looked like she had been crying. After I said no she broke down, she was trying to prepare herself to tell her mom it was okay to let go. How do you do that when it really isn't okay? Chris and I were both moved to tears by that lady. I pray that our words were a comfort to her.

These crappy chairs are also our beds. Josh and I are getting pretty good at sleeping on chairs with all of the lights on and the stupid TV playing all night long. Can't turn anything off or people will seriously freak out, and since these people are already on the edge we certainly don't want to be the cause of any freaking out.

As I was sitting here by myself I came to a realization. I drive past this hospital everyday on my way to work. And everyday there are people just like me sitting in this waiting room with hearts that hurt. It made me sad that I had never realized this before.

I'm gonna say good-night now. Thanks for checking on us. Thanks just doesn't really seem like much but thanks to all of you who have been praying for Christy. I seriously have no idea how we could make it through all of this without each of you. We love you!

Julie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Julie. I have just returned to work and Jill filled me in on your daughter. It goes without saying that you and your family are in my thoughts and my heart.

If you need anything, please let me know... I live close to Central Baptist and if you would like to come up and shower or rest my door is always open.

Theresa