Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mother’s Day

Mother’s Day has been hard for me since I was taken by surprise 24 years ago. I innocently went to church that Sunday morning not realizing how devastating it would be. See, at church they make a big deal out of Mother’s Day – as they should. But when you’ve lost your mother, or your child as I will now be faced with, it’s just a painful reminder of what you don’t have.

For the past several years Chris, Kyle and I have traveled to Cynthiana for Mother’s Day. It’s been our little tradition. We won’t be doing that this year.

Chris and I will be going to church with Kyle this year, back to Mt. Freedom for a Sunday. I need to start a new tradition. I’m going to try very hard to focus on what I have and not what I’ve lost. I know this isn’t going to be easy but my son deserves it.

I still have reasons to celebrate on Mother’s Day. I have a wonderful mother-in-law who would, and has, done anything in the world for me. I love her; I want to celebrate her this year. I have Chris’ grandmother; she’s 93 years old and an amazing woman. I want to celebrate her this year. I have Josh, who by law isn’t my son any longer but who will forever be my son in my heart. I want to celebrate still being a part of his life.

Christy isn’t here in flesh any longer but I’m certainly still her mother. I want to celebrate that. She always went above and beyond to make every Mother’s Day special, I will celebrate those times and know that she still loves me. I will also celebrate the love I still have for her.

Most importantly, I want to celebrate the fact that I’m Kyle’s mother. What a huge blessing he is to me. God brought much comedy into our lives when he gave us Kyle, but even more - He brought us much love. This young man loves his momma, and his momma loves him with every fiber of her being. Kyle is a very special young man. If you don’t know him well, you should get to know him. He will grate your very last nerve one minute, then turn around the next and melt your heart. I wouldn’t have him any other way. He is exactly the son God created him to be and I adore him.

I will celebrate being Christy’s mother and I will celebrate being Kyle’s mother. Please pray for me as I do.

Celebrating my children,
Julie

1 comment:

Lori said...

I feel like I have prayed about little else this week, friend. I'm praying your day is a blessing, even if it surprises you by being so. :) Love you.