Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Passover Mentality

I am currently reading a book by Dennis Apple titled ‘life after the death of my son – what i’m learning.’ The following is taken from that book. I feel as though these words were snatched out of my own head………

In that tragic moment I felt as though God had abandoned me, and I identified with Jesus’ words when He screamed out from the Cross, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matt. 27:46). I would scream out those words several times in the days to come as the fog enveloped me and my family.

I would never have said this out loud to anyone, but in my mind I had the mistaken idea that tragedies like this simply don’t happen to those of us who are ministers. I’m not quite sure where this notion came from, but I suppose it has something to do with the Old Testament story of the first Passover as found in Exodus 11-12. The children of Israel gained protection from the death angel as they placed the blood of the Passover lamb over their doors as instructed by Moses. The firstborn of all Egyptian families were slain on that fateful night, but the faithful Israelite families were safe. I thought we were safe too! Looking back, I have told others that I had the “Passover mentality” but realize now that being a minister does not exempt me from tragedy.


Still hurting,
Julie

No comments: