Thursday, August 5, 2010

August 5th

I hate August 5th almost as much as I hate October 11th. It was two years ago today that our worst nightmare began. I was sitting at my desk, eating my lunch, when my phone rang. It was Josh. He was calling to tell me that Christy had had a seizure and was in the ER in Maysville, KY. She was at a meeting for her job, several people from the Cynthiana campus of MCTCS had traveled to Maysville that day for a meeting. I still have the e-mail she sent me that morning………

I won't be around today. Fall Faculty/Staff meeting in Maysville. I'm not feeling very well either. Threw up in the middle of dinner last night...at the Mexican restaurant. Please pray I don't have any such further humiliating situations today...

Call you later. Have a good day!

Love,
me

She and I always e-mailed back and forth during the work day, so she wanted me to know that I wouldn’t be hearing from her that day. She knew me too well, she knew that I would worry if I didn’t hear from her.

I left work as soon as I hung up with Josh and drove to Maysville. I can only remember traveling to Maysville once before in my life but I drove straight to the Hospital without a hitch. It poured rain on me the entire trip.

When I got there Christy seemed to be doing pretty well. She thought she had broken her knee during the seizure (which of course we found out later she had) but was otherwise okay. The doctor’s there couldn’t seem to find a reason for her seizure so they wanted to transport her to Lexington, where her records and her doctors were. We were all more than fine with that. Finally they loaded her (and me) into an ambulance and drove us to Lexington.

I went home later that evening. I wish I had stayed there soaking up every second of her life. Why didn’t I stay?

Of course many days later we took her home and thought she was well on her way to complete recovery. She was, just not the recovery we prayed so desperately for.

I’m still in pain - just reading that simple little e-mail from her has made me crumble into tears. I have no idea when, or if, this will ever get any easier to deal with. Please continue to pray for me as I continue to walk this terrible road.

Missing my girl even more with every passing day,
Julie


P.S. Also, would you please pray for my cousin’s daughter, Emily? Emily and her husband Gerald were ecstatic to discover that after 5 long years of trying to conceive they were expecting. Then, this past weekend and well into the ‘safety zone’ of her second trimester, they had to say good-bye to their sweet baby girl Delaney. Please keep this beautiful young couple in your prayers, they are completely heartbroken.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Praying for you my friend.

Christel said...

I'm praying for you, dear friend. May the peace of Christ dwell in you today.